Saturday, August 8 and Sunday, August 9, 2015
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Nothing says summer like fresh-picked sweet corn! Lauritzen Gardens celebrates this backyard favorite and Nebraska’s agricultural jewel during the all-new Sweet Corn Festival. Guests can enjoy a variety of activities, entertainment and plenty of delicious, locally grown sweet corn. They can hop on the hayrack ride, cool off with free samples of “Nebraska Sweet Corn” ice cream from Ted & Wally’s Premium Homemade Ice Cream, purchase freshly popped kettle corn and learn about corn (and other New World foods) through fun, educational activities.
Guests can also explore new ways to incorporate sweet corn during special cooking demonstrations. Live entertainment will be featured throughout the weekend and Hap Abraham Catering will offer fresh hot buttered corn, a variety of sweet corn items and other fresh fare from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Sweet Corn Festival is included with regular garden admission of $10/adults, $5/children ages 6-12. The event is free for garden members and children under six.
- Sample three varieties of Nebraska sweet corn
- From Avocado to Vanilla, taste a wide variety of foods that originated in the Americas
- This year's featured New World Food is CHOCOLATE. Sample a variety of chocolates from around the world, as well as local chocolates made in Nebraska.
- Take a fun, festive hayrack ride (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Enjoy live music by Chris Sayre from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day
- Watch antique farm implements shell corn the old fashioned way
- Make your own cornhusk doll and learn about the origin of these toys
- Try your own science project and learn how to make "oobleck," a non-Newtonian fluid make from corn starch. Take the Oobleck Challenge and attempt to run on top of this liquid!
- Participate in corny crafts for children
- Learn the real definition of "Cornhusker"
Enjoy sweet corn and chocolate blueberry ice cream samples from Ted & Wally's Premium Homemade Ice Cream
- Watch cooking demonstrations featuring sweet corn and other New World Foods
- "How to Work with Chocolate" - Mary Richling, owner of Hollywood Candy (Saturday at noon) Learn the tricks to working with melted chocolate from candy expert, Mary Richling
- Purchase freshly popped kettle corn, or a variety of food from the cafe.
- Learn how to make herb butters to top your favorite corn
- See the "Food from the Americas" exhibit, featuring foods that originated in the Western Hemisphere
- Test your throwing arm at a game of corn chucking!
- Walk through the "Maize Maze" in the children's garden
- Look for corny jokes as you walk through the garden
- PLUS, other "corny" activities for all ages!
Society- The Nebraska Herpetological Society is a non-profit
organization dedicated to the conservation of amphibians and reptiles, the
encouragement of responsible captive propagation, and the promotion of public
education and understanding of reptiles and amphibians. They will be at the Sweet Corn Festival both Saturday and Sunday
from 1 to 5 p.m. with specimens of corn snakes on display.